Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- To coordinate the implementation of Livelihood Re-establishment interventions for Project Affected Persons/Community Development initiatives, with a key focus on agricultural improvement, and broader community initiatives on Agriculture, Water, Education, Health and Infrastructure, in line with the Newmont Ahafo North Sustainability & External Relations (S&ER) Strategy.
- Coordinate Ahafo North’s Community Development strategy development and its implementation as well as support the planning and implementation of all Community Relations initiatives and activities in the area.
In This Role You Will:
- Provide inputs to Newmont’s Sustainability & External Relations (S&ER) strategy.
- Implement the Community Development strategic plan, providing guidance to contractors, according to Newmont governance and regulatory requirements.
- Communicate with and engage across various Newmont departments to mobilise support for S&ER activities.
- Determine the scope of work and develop the resulting terms of reference that will govern the work.
- Support the identification and management of Community Development risks and lend support to the Officer in identifying and managing local risks.
Partnerships and Collaboration:
- Conduct needs assessments to enhance partnerships and collaboration.
- Participate in Community Development forums to ensure overall alignment and integration with the Newmont S&ER strategy.
- Promote tripartite (Newmont, Government, Communities) approach to implementing community development initiatives.
- Facilitate livelihood re-establishment programs for project affected persons.
- Facilitate implementation of company led community development strategic initiatives.
- Coordinate employee participation in voluntary community development initiatives.
- Coordinate the submission of requests for donations to Newmont Ahafo North Donation Committee for review.
- Monitor the effectiveness of company approved donations to external stakeholders.
Compliance and Reporting:
- Coordinate and consolidate reports on CD projects and programmes, including performance against relevant targets and commitments.
- Support Community Development audits.
- Provide input for community development reports.
- Ensure compliance to Newmont S&ER standards.
- Develop and hand over a planned schedule of activity for the Community Development Officer.
- Provide support, coaching and training to Community Development teams to embed community development best practices.
Budgets and Payments:
- Identify and prioritise spending on key projects earmarked within the financial year.
- Provide approval and sign-off on contractor payment requests.
- Contribution to the zero harm goal of Ahafo North with focus on quality safety interactions, inspections, audits, risk assessments & impact mitigation and control systems.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- First Degree in Social Sciences, Community Development, Economics, Agriculture or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience working with NGO’s and Service Providers in Social Investment/Community Development.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience.
- Advanced interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds).
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Strong planning, prioritizing and coordination skills.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Sound analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Sound conceptual skills.
- Sound consultation skills.
- Sound negotiation skills.
- Sound facilitation skills.
- Sound coaching and mentoring skills.
- Sound relationship management skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Cultural Sensitivity.
- Directive and takes initiative.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- Goal orientated.
- High quality orientation.
- High level of transparency.
- Reliable and independent.
- Team Player.
- Incumbent’s work is with Governmental Institutions and Stakeholders in six districts, travels to different mine impacted and non-impacted communities to work. Position holder also travels to work with other Partners such as GIZ, Project CURE, OICI and other Mines in Ghana.
- Engaging stakeholders, delivering charitable donations/packages and monitoring the work of consultants involves walking around project sites, and local communities.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 22 Feb. 2021
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED