Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- To plan, supervise and coordinate Process Plant electrical and instrumentation maintenance activities in a safe and cost-effective manner, enabling the full optimisation of the plant electrical and realisation of production plans.
- To lead and support the Process Control Engineer, Electrical and Instrumentation supervisors and Technicians. Support the career development of Electrical and Instrumentation apprentices to enable competency levels and availability goals to be achieved.
Main Responsibility Areas:
- Electrical Maintenance Execution.
- Electrical Maintenance Management.
- Health and Safety Management.
- Work Scheduling and Allocation.
- Capability Development.
- Staff Management.
In This Role You Will:
- Build and develop an electrical and instrumentation (E&I) maintenance team capable of carrying out needed engineering initiatives. Enhance the capability of the process control team to ensure operational optimization through updated control systems.
- Establish an in-house testing and training facility in the process plant to enhance the capabilities of technicians in the E&I section.
Electrical Maintenance Execution
- Develop and implement maintenance strategies based on RCM techniques, budgets and plans to ensure maximum equipment availability at optimum cost.
- Prepare maintenance operating cost forecasts, budgets and monthly maintenance reports.
- Conduct troubleshooting of all the electrical systems including communication equipment installed.
- Oversee the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STPs).
- Review and approve all electrical drawings and make recommendations and modifications, based on technical standards and procedures.
Provide control systems engineering and programming services.
Electrical Maintenance Management
- Organise, distribute, coordinate and oversee all electrical and instrumentation maintenance work in all process areas equipped with electrical devices (i.e. Crushing, Grinding, CIL, Elution, CCD, WSF and TSF, Powerhouse, Fire Systems).
- Liaise with area Ghana Grid Company management personnel to resolve issue that will hinder the delivery of continuous stable, quality and economical electrical power to Ahafo site including underground operations to production of gold.
- Provide technical advice and support Akyem underground electrical team and Water Treatment plant facility to conform to the statutory regulations by auditing their electrical reticulation and facility against the Mineral and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation, LI 2128.
- Perform Engineering inspections on the equipment’s and maintenance activities in order to guarantee that it is being implemented as designed and in accordance with OEM requirements.
- Effectively manage the Akyem Power Station to ensure power is available either for emergency or cogeneration purposes to support Ahafo and Akyem in an event of gird failure or load shedding, also up-skill the power station crew to confidently operate and maintain the power station.
- Provide effective and efficient control of High Voltage switching and High Voltage Overhead Powerline maintenance and operation for the entire Ahafo site.
- Produce electrical related statutory report for resident engineer and external auditors.
- Produce audit report on internal electrical standard audits for IMS and oversee all corrective actions.
- Produce monthly power consumption report and submit to Process Manager.
- Produce power consumption report on a case by case basis and submit to Power and Risk Management Director, Process Manager and Finance Department.
- Assure that shift team employees are being trained and developed in accordance with the NGRL people development program.
- Manage allocated staff member(s) by:
- conducting the performance appraisals.
- recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions.
- disciplining poor performance or actions.
Work Scheduling and Allocation
- Supervise the tasks completed by the Supervisors and Technicians and verify that these are performed according to specified plans.
- Provide and coordinate support for the team to execute the plant modification and achieve results in a timely manner.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Electrical Engineering.
Sectional Engineering Certification of Competency or Higher certificatification from MINCOM.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge in Instrumentation and Process Control.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in Reliability Centered Maintenance programs.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in High Voltage switching programs.
- Strong knowledge in large slurry and water pump maintenance.
- Strong working knowledge of SAP related programs.
- Knowledge of and experience in maintenance practices for large electric motors.
- Advanced knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
- Minimum of 6 – 8 years’ experience as a Fixed Plant Electrical Supervisor maintaining electrical equipment / machinery in a large gold processing environment.
- Minimum of 4 – 6 years’ experience in a supervisory capacity, managing large and diverse teams.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Ability to interpret electrical engineering drawings.
- Strong information monitoring and management skills.
- Strong planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Strong instrumentation and process control skills.
- Strong people management skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Goal Oriented.
- Safety Conscious.
- Team Player.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED