Established in 2002, ICI is a humanitarian foundation that promotes partnership among the chocolate and cocoa industry, cocoa-producing governments, civil society and NGOs to support the elimination of child labour in cocoa-growing communities.
Our head office is in Geneva, Switzerland and we have operations in Ghana and Ivory Coast with National Offices in Accra and Abidjan.
ICI has developed a Child Labour Monitoring and Remediation System (CLMRS) that allows industry partners to manage responsibly the risk of child labour in their cocoa supply chain.
In line with the Ghana Child Labor Monitoring System (GCLMS), the system is based on the presence of Community Facilitators (CF) within cocoa-growing communities who raise awareness on the issue of child labour; identify cases and implement remediation activities. (www.cocoainitiative.org)
October 2021 v1.2
ICI is seeking a consultant to conduct a quantitative baseline survey of child labor prevalence among a random sample of approximately 2000 households, spread across 40 communities in Ghana. The names of these communities will be provided by ICI.
- Household survey (administered to the head of household or spouse and including basic demographic data about household members and livelihoods)
- Child survey (administered to children age 5-17 within sampled households and including information about children’s work and education)
- Community survey (including basic information about the presence and absence of key infrastructure eg. schools, water points etc.)
The consultant conducting the survey will be responsible for preparing a clean dataset containing all key outcome indicators, accompanied by a comprehensive codebook and documentation of indicator construction.
Also, a short summary report with descriptive results on key indicators (basic demographic characteristics of households and children, child labour and education status), a description of the methodology followed, and additional observations during data collection.
- The consultant will be responsible for providing the following deliverables:
- Sampling strategy (based on information on communities provided by ICI)
- Mobile data collection forms (based on questionnaires provided by ICI)
- Approved work plan and schedule, including training plan
- A clean dataset containing all key outcome indicators collected from the 2000 households and 40 communities, accompanied by a comprehensive codebook and documentation of indicator construction
- A short summary report with descriptive results on key indicators (basic demographic characteristics of households and children, child labour and education status), a description of the methodology followed, and additional observations during data collection
Required Skills or Experience
ICI is seeking a consultant with proven experience conducting large-scale surveys of child labour, including interviews with children, in rural areas of Ghana. Household, child and community-level interviews must be conducted by trained data collectors, with prior experience interviewing children.
- Participation in the survey will be voluntary. Heads of the household will be asked to give their informed consent prior to starting interviews, children will be asked their assent.
- The consultant will use data collection tools developed by ICI, which have been extensively field-tested and build on tried and tested methods of interviewing children about child labour. ICI staff will support the training of the data collectors on the use of these tools.
- Recognising that children involved in child labour represent a vulnerable population group, the consultant will follow local guidelines on working with vulnerable populations. For any children identified at immediate risk (for example a child in a situation of forced labour), an identification and referral process will be set up to ensure that follow-up and support can be provided.
- During data collection, each child, household and community will be assigned a unique identifier, enabling personal data to be stored separately and ensuring anonymity of participants during the analysis phase.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter via the application form/button or our career email: email@example.com
Closing Date: 11th October 2021
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED