- Company: Kinross Gold Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometres southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest city. The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and consists of 11 deposits. Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL.
To ensure the efficient supervision and control of the Maintenance Crew by allocating and managing resources (people and equipment) to attain production and engineering objectives. Lead the execution of the strategy for maintenance and ensure the continued growth of the functional activities to maximize operational efficiencies, safety, and profitability and ensure alignment with the organization’s overall goal.
- Maintain a harmonious working environment with colleagues and direct reports
- Set performance targets and measures, monitor and manage the overall performance of employees and/or contract workers at the Engineering department
- Build the capabilities of the team to enhance maintenance’s ability to achieve financial and operating strategy; identifies succession role requirements and high potential talent, and actively develops key talents
- Responsible for conducting performance evaluations, recommending promotions, and carrying out corrective actions as needed.
- Ensure relevant Safety, Mining and other statutory Codes and Regulations remain in full compliance.
- Actively promote Safety Culture and Hazard Awareness on the Mine by achieving zero reportable environmental incidents, zero compliance breaches and continually review the safety standards and work practices for the engineering workforce
- Formulate and execute strategies that support the growth of mine operations; ensures strategies are linked to the organization’s overall strategy
- Develop and ensure the implementation of strategies and action plans to meet the objectives of the department and promote the implementation of continuous improvement tools that allow innovating and optimizing processes
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of local government agencies, shareholders’ interests, environmental health and safety legislation and company regulation.
Job Responsibilities cont’d
- Effectively manage the annual operating and capital budgets for the department, consistent with Kinross’ established financial guidelines and business planning process.
- Develop and implement business practices, processes, policies and systems within maintenance that align with the organization’s overall strategy and maximize operational efficiencies and competitive advantage
- Prepare business cases regarding projects and initiatives, analyzes information and prepares technical documents to support decision making; presents recommendations and status updates to key stakeholders
- Perform continuous monitoring of operations (through reports, visits, inspections, etc.) to suggest actions to ensure compliance with the plans and their continuity.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to the Engineering Maintenance functions within the Chirano operation. This includes maintenance of process plant operations, maintenance of CGML owned mobile equipment (Open Pit & Underground Mobile Maintenance), and ancillary equipment, maintenance of surface infrastructure including Power and water supply to Surface & Underground mining operations, maintenance of the three (3) mine camp/villages and management of the independent Power Provider (PPC) Contract.
Manage and have oversight responsibilities on maintenance related functional activities such as: job planning, scheduling, shift control, parts, materials, systems (i.e. data) management, performance monitoring (e.g. strategic direction, methodology selection, training, budgeting, and business process management), and liaisons with operations groups to ensure equipment/plant scheduled downtimes are coordinated effectively
- Ensure the quality of execution and delivery of maintenance work, through comprehensive plans, to guarantee high levels of reliability of productive assets.
- Act as a change agent and project sponsor for key initiatives; models organizational values, sets the cultural tone, and prioritizes business goals
- Create a suitable working environment to motivate staff, employees and contractors to achieve optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating costs.
- Train new employees by providing instruction on procedures; familiarize new employees with operations and review work assignments in order to orient employee and optimize performance.
- In case of accidents, perform survey, report accident as per existing policy, proceed for repair, and then issue a report-with photos whenever required.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
Education and Experience
- College Degree/Diploma in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Engineering Manager’s certificate of competency
- Valid driver’s license, defensive driving skills
- Certificate in Project Management
- Must have a minimum of 12 years’ experience in project engineering management in a mining environment
- Additional specialized training or education in business and project management, operations management, safety and risk assessment or continuous improvement
- Must have statutory certification as an Engineering Manager.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of the Duty of Care Standards, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, and Mining Inspection Act & Regulations.
Have thorough understanding of mine and maintenance operations and solid safety performance at the personal and professional level.
- Must have the skill of planning, deciding priorities and able to plan jobs in coordination with colleagues, other Departments and Government Authorities
- Be able to apply standards, policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft applications including word, excel, power-point, outlook and other Maintenance software /tools.
- Budgeting, planning and scheduling experience required as well as financial (cost) management
- Complete understanding and knowledge of mine and maintenance operations
- Experience managing diverse employees (language, cultural, religious, etc)
- Ability to oversee contract administration and contractor management
- Management skills with ability to engage and transfer knowledge to all direct reports
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and oral and apply appropriate discipline when required
- Flexible rotations including night shift and demonstrated ability to work under pressure safely
Method of Application
Closing Date: 16 Jan, 2021
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED