- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Sunyani
- Job type: Full-Time
Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
To provide backfill expertise and leadership with regards to mine design and schedule for all SLS planning horizons and draw points with the objective of safe stable mining operations.
• Establish, implement and maintain the rockfill engineering processes, standards and procedures for the Subika Technical Services team.
• Provide rockfill advice to all functions within technical services, geology and operations team on site.
• Coordinate between drill and Blast, scheduling and mining operations to meet a backfill schedule that satisfies Subika underground production requirements.
• Manage contractors and mine employees to implement all aspects as set-out in the contract agreement.
• Responsible for void fill tracking for SLS and open stope voids, completion of void fill notes including rockfill stability and QAQC.
• Monitor all backfill activities underground .i.e. fill pass raise health, waste material selection etc.
• Analyzing CALS survey and providing guidelines for void management.
• Assess backfill risks and develop mitigation plans.
• Establish and implement management tools for the backfill process workflow.
• Prepare monthly backfill reports detailing quantity of all fill and waste passes.
• Contribute to statutory reporting activities related to backfilling.
• Actively participate in mine planning activities.
• Review project plans and provide technical expertise in projects and operation.
Safety Health and Environment
• Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
• Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
• Demonstrate personal commitment regarding safety and environmental practices.
• Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
• Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
• Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
• Develop the backfill team through an effective programme of skills transfer, mentorship and appropriate training.
• Supervise and provide direction to the backfill Engineers and graduates.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
Bachelors’ degree in Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering Additional Knowledge:
Strong knowledge of Mine design software.
7 years in hard rock underground metalliferous mining environment
Preferred experience in supervising a team
Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
Attention to Detail.
Work Under Pressure.
• Combination of office and UG mining conditions.
• Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
• Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
• Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
• Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
• Potential for seismic activity underground.
• Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
• Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
• Working with corrosive chemicals.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 15 Feb. 2021
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED