Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has been working in Ghana since 1958 in Health, Agriculture, Peacebuilding, Water and Sanitation, Microfinance and Education programs. CRS seeks a Senior Project Officer (SPO) for Community Mobilization, to lead field level implementation of behaviour change activities. The SPO-CM will lead coordination and reporting on all project activities and provide technical guidance and advice to staff and implementing partner(s) advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your coordination and relationship management skills will ensure that the project for which you are responsible applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Facilitate community individuals or groups to plan, carry out and evaluate WASH activities on a participatory and sustained basis to improve health and other needs on their own initiative or stimulated by peers
- Develop and manage relationships with partner organizations especially in the District-Wide Approach to WASH implementation, to ensure the effective implementation of sustainable water supply, sanitation and hygiene projects in communities, schools, and health centers
- Support the development and implementation of appropriate participatory approaches to WASH and work closely with district and community stakeholders to develop and execute mobilization and sensitization activities
- Support Project Officers in the development of annual work plans, budget preparation, and assist to implement them to achieve project goals and planned results
- Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
- Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare reports per established reporting schedule.
- Provide coaching, tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports. Monitor and assess performance to ensure capacity for successful support of high quality programming.
- Collect information on staff capacity needs and technical assistance needs of partner organizations and monitor capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.Required Languages –
Fluency in English. Knowledge of local language (Mapruli) is desirable.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
You will be supervising 3 Project Officers
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Regional/HQ technical advisors, Head of Programs, WASH and other line managers, ICOWASH Project Manager, Senior Project Officers (WASH, CM and SILC), and other Project Officers.
External: Government partners and Service providers (Contractors).
- University degree in social science, community-based development, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in programs in community mobilization and outreach. Experience in the field of sanitation and hygiene promotion and for an NGO would be a plus.
- Additional experience may substitute for some educationKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with local stakeholders
- Experience in budget development, analysis and management
- Knowledge in the rural sanitation model for Ghana, sanitation marketing and market-based approaches to WASH implementation, including fecal sludge management and product development will be an advantage
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Willingness to travel in-country as required by the project or country program
- Observation, active listening, and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred.
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of local level issues
- Knowledge of local language (Mapruli) would be preferable.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS’ emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED